Thursday, July 16, 2009

NGO Profile: Action on Disability & Development

I was fortunate enough to be connected to an NGO in Uganda, Action on Disability & Development. Fatuma recommended them as a trusted organization and so far, I definitely like what I've seen. I met Lugemoi Bongomin (cool name right!?) who is the "Fundraising and Resource Mobilization Officer," which basically meant he was the perfect person to talk with.

ADD has their headquarters in the UK and in addition to their branch in Uganda, have others in Tanzania, Ghana, Malawi, Mali, Sudan, Zambia, Bangladesh, and others. In the 22 years they've been in Uganda, they've worked at both the grassroots and national level to have interventions and mobilize the disabled to have a voice in their country. Fantastic group, actually.

A few organizations ADD works with: National Union of Disabled Persons, Mental Health Uganda, Association of the Deaf and Blind, Association of Parents of Children with Disabilities, Association of Disabled Women, ...

Additionally, they do research and field work. I'm hoping to go with them into the field for one of the upcoming weeks.

I told them about Worldwide Mobility's goals to connect disabled people to microfinance institutions (MFIs) only to discover they had a similar goal and are doing research into the topic.

ADD is interested in getting volunteers from Uganda, USA, and around the world, so if you're interested, let me know! With all their connections, they would be a great group to work with on a project!!



(PS - Sorry if a few British phrases slipped in. I've been hanging out with several here. Although it could all be in my head hearing the accent...)

No comments:

Post a Comment